UH Hilo Spring 2021 Commencement Celebration
UH Hilo's Spring 2021 Virtual Commencement Presentation opens with a Kīpaepae followed by congratulatory messages from our Chancellor, our Vice-Chancellors, our College Deans and Director, our Athletics Director and concludes with the name cards recognizing our participating graduates. Congratulations to the Spring Class of 2021!
Dr. Lorna Tsutsumi, UH Hilo professor of entomology, specializes in honey bees in Hawaiʻi and developed and runs the UH Hilo apiary and bee garden, teaches about bees and beekeeping, and produces practical knowledge and scientific literature about honey bees that benefit local beekeepers.
In addition to her research and teaching, she also has developed and marketed value-added bee products made from the honey and wax extracted by beekeeping students from the bee hives at the UH Hilo Ag Farm in Panaʻewa. Monies generated from sales help support UH students.
This is an exceptional commencement with three student speakers after a three semester hiatus. The student speakers are Eric Tejada, Kiaria Zo'i Nakamura, and Nina Sabahi.
Kiaria Zo'i Nakamura
Nakamura is graduating with a degree in English, minor in Performing Arts, and two certificates in Educational Studies and Creative Writing. Some of her proudest moments at UH Hilo include receiving the Presidential Award, choreographing for the Performing Arts Center’s Hawaiian Nutcracker, and making a presentation at the 2021 Richard Macksey National Undergraduate Humanities Research Symposium. Her future plan includes a career in higher education.
Sabahi is graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Bachelor of Science in Biology. She is an active member of the Student Arts Association, having served as Treasurer, Vice President, and President. She is passionate about communication and uses her skills to volunteer for the Kuʻikahi Mediation Center as a mediator, and at the Crisis Text Line as a crisis counselor. She intends to go to graduate school to ultimately practice psychiatry.
Tejada works with the UH Hilo First-Year Experience Program as a student office manager. He is also a member of the Lambda Psi Delta Sigma Pi professional business fraternity where he served as vice president of community service in 2020. He will continue to explore the financial industry with HFS Federal Credit Union, and aspires to pursue his Master of Arts in Teaching at UH Hilo.
- All graduates
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Natural and Health Sciences
- Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy
- Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani, College of Hawaiian Language
- Graduates with Honors
- Graduates in Honors Societies
- Global Vulcans Graduates
- Graduating UH Hilo Vulcans bring their A-game
- UH Hilo graduates are active participants in their education
- UH Hilo Graduates are dressed to impress!
- UH Hilo graduates show great love for their families
- Graduates made lasting friendships at UH Hilo
- UH Hilo graduates share messages on graduation caps
- UH Hilo Graduates as seen on and around campus.
- UH Hilo Graduates enjoying the great outdoors
- UH Hilo School of Nursing graduates are ready to serve their communities
Download the Spring 2021 Commencement Program (PDF).